Thursday, March 1, 2018

Ugh...not more math.

     As I was growing up, I can vividly remember my hatred for math. It never came easy for me. I somehow managed to always do well enough, but God did I loathe numbers and anything that involved problem solving. The one math area that I did actually enjoy in elementary school was learning about data and measurement. Finally...visuals! Pictures! Hands-on concepts! Manipulatives that made sense to me! 

     When I became a teacher, I promised myself and my students (both current and future) that I would always try to make math fun. I would come up with ways to engage every kid (fellow math haters included). I would spend many hours on weekends creating centers and games for the different concepts I was teaching at the time. Some worked. Some didn't. Some centers stuck around a tad longer than expected because my kids loved them so very much. I wanted to share a set of centers/games that proved to be winners in my class. 



These centers and games can be used in many ways.

Ways to Use:
  • These are great options for those early finishers! Partnered up, they can play until you are ready to tranistion to the next task. 
  • Putting these into centers is another great use (and how I used them). This can be done in pairs or groups of four (two students teaming up - good for students that may struggle). 
  • Want to use individually? Assign students a certain # of dice rolls or a certain # of spaces that must be answered. 
  • You can also use in a small group by projecting this onto an interactive white board and use magnets as game pieces. Kids in the group can team up to answer questions together or students can take turns. 
Materials Needed:
  • Printed sheets (like the one above)
  • Game pieces (counters, coins, paper clips, etc...)
  • Scratch paper or notebooks (to work problems out if needed)
  • Manipulatives (mini clocks, etc...) if necessary
  • Die
How to Play:

  1.       Students decide which player will go first.
  2.       Player 1 will take and keep Player 2’s answer key, and Player 2 will take and keep Player 1’s answer sheet in order to check the math. (you can also have both students working on every problem to check each other’s math too).
  3.       The first player will roll the die and go to that space on Player 1’s board.
  4.       Using the graphic on the sheet, Player 1 will work the problem out on scratch paper or in a notebook. (They can also use small post its and just place the post-it over the space on the board if they get it correct).
  5.       If Player 1 gets it correct, they can place a marker over that spot on the board.
  6.       It is now Player 2’s turn.
  7.       If a player gets an answer wrong, their turn is over.
  8.       If a player rolls a number that has already been answered, their turn is over.
  9.       Continue playing until one player has markers on every space.
I created five different centers/games that can be used. The Common Core Standards 
addressed include:  

Hot Dog Stand Mania - CC.2.4.3.A.2
Tell and write time to the nearest minute and solve problems by calculating tie intervals

Ice Cream Truck Chase - CC.2.4.3.A.3
Solve problems and make change involving money using a combination of bills and coins 

Ballpark Birthdays - CC.2.4.3.A.4 Interpret data using line plots

Snow Cone Surprise - CC.2.4.3.A.4 Interpret data using bar graphs

Buccaneer Burger Shack - CC.2.4.3.A.4 Interpret data using pictographs

This product can be found in my Teachers Pay Teachers store here -> CLICK ME! 

Peace, Love, and Math, 
Mary











































No comments:

Post a Comment